To help reduce your monthly energy bills and ensure your home remains comfortable all year, follow these simple energy tips:
- Clean and replace filters monthly or as needed.
- Turn off exhaust fans in your kitchen and bathroom within 20 minutes of completing your cooking or bathing.
- Replace exhaust fans with high-efficiency, low-noise models.
- Open shades during colder months to allow the sunlight to enter your home, then close them at night to reduce the chill from cold windows.
- Keep window coverings closed during the warmer months to prevent solar gain.
- For furnaces, look for high Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings. The national minimum is 78% AFUE, but many ENERGY STAR® models exceed 90% AFUE
- For air conditioners, look for a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). The current minimum is 13 SEER for central air conditioners. All ENERGY STAR models are 14 SEER or above.
Find more tips at http://www.energystar.gov/homeadvisor/